New standards in the logistics industry
Trucking is still the leading mode of freight transportation worldwide: 70% of goods are shipped by road in the United States and Europe (The future of trucking, Challenges for the transportation sector, Roland Berger, September 2018). In France, it represents 87% of the inland transport, compared to 10% for rail.
But, in a context of fast-growing traffic, new consumer expectations, regulatory constraints linked to ecological imperatives, or even the fierce competition from digital players, rules of the game have changed, a lot. Also, lack of operational efficiency is critical: as the French MP François-Michel Lambert liked to recall in his report on "France Logistics in 2025", one in three trucks is still running empty and the average loading of the fleet at the national level is only 30%.
Hence the importance of being able to manage and share your key performance indicators in order to best serve the requirements of your commercial and logistical excellence.
Why you should know how to manage your KPIs
Key to ensuring the best possible level of operational performance, and ultimately guaranteeing a steady growth, leveraging data was already a long-standing subject for GEFCO, one of the major European players in logistics. The main difficulty for the company was to collect raw data from multiple sources and then reprocess it with hundreds of different business rules. This heavy dependence on manual interventions had several drawbacks:
- Delays to obtain KPIs and a low production level
- Risks of manual errors and corrections that were not re-integrated
- Relying on a few people and their availability
Tools had already been implemented, but several issues were encountered:
- Teams did not take ownership, which made the information siloed and not easily shareable, especially since the teams work on very different rythms
- Data visualization did not allow a more detailed exploration of a given KPI: it was therefore very complicated to understand why an indicator was not as expected
The company needed more visibility and details around its key indicators, in order to guarantee optimal filing of its trucks and better meet its deadlines commitments.
A unified logistics dashboard to understand and explore KPIs
GEFCO chose the ForePaaS way to build a customized tool for business KPIs production and monitoring. After a workshop session to define data organization, collection frequency and business rules to apply, the final application has been developed iteratively over a few weeks in order to match the needs of end business users.
It has been enriched little by little to include:
- Automated collection of KPIs, whatever their source (structured or unstructured data, from IoT sensors or Excel files...)
- The ability to drilldown on each indicator to better understand its context
- Alerts and trends calculations to improve operational management
- Simple UX and multi-device to massively share information to all relevant stakeholders
- In the longer term, machine learning algorithms to provide optimizations and predictions
This helped the company to produce its KPIs continously, and above all without dependence on manual processing.